These items aren't new and aren't necessarily in working condition (though in most cases they are). Please contact us if you want to ensure one of these items is working!
Generally, 'vintage' means 'quite old', while 'used' means 'sort of modern'. However, these are quite subjective!
They are generally suitable for collectors or for display, but may also still be servicable.
Perrin Tube [used]
- The Perrin tube may be used to show that charge can be accumulated in the Faraday pail incorporated, that the charge does not disappear when the filament is switched off and therefore that the cathode rays must consist of charged particles. Electron deflection sensitivity may be measured using Helmh..
Sun Projector kit
- This handy device allows multiple people a convenient and completely safe way to observe sunspots, planetary transits and eclipses. A solar filter is not needed, because only a projected image of the sun comes through. The size of the solar image is either 75 or 55 mm and it can easily be seen at r..
Griffin London Magnetometer [vintage]
- *Note that, while the images show the paper inside the glass frame as slighty pinkish, it is actually white. A deflection magnetometer measures the field lines of a magnet or magnets placed near to it by the amount of deflection caused by the bar magnet. This particular example is in good cond..
Watson Microsystem 70 Microscope [vintage]
- Good condition, works well. 4 objective lenses, 5x eyepiece. Comes with wood box with damaged strap. Objectives: 2 x10/.28, x40/.65, 100x/1.25 oil; all Watson PARA. The image with the x40 isn't ideal, has a little scruff. Slide clips missing, I'll try to get some. ..
Resistance Box by Philip Harris Ltd [vintage]
- Resistance Box by Philip Harris Ltd, Birminghame, with glass sides so that the resistance copils are clearly visible. Resistance values: 1, 2, 2, 5, 10, 20, 20, 50, 100, Inf. All keys present. Working, in good condition commensurate with age. A resistance box or resistor substitution box is ..
Bausch & Lomb, Optical Microscope
- 1 Nikon Objective x40, doesn't focus. 1 B&L x10 1 Eyepiece x5 with scale, fairly dirty. No mirror. Working iris and condensor. No stage clips. ..
Beck Model 47
- Grey enamel. 1 stage clip. 1-sided mirror. 4-objective turret. 2 objectives: x45/.65, x10/.17 2 eyepieces: x6, x10 Condensor present, no iris. Coarse focus works, but the tube tends to slide down slowly. Fine focus not working. Wood case. ..
Boxed Capacitor [Vintage]
- Capacitor has a wood top panel, with metal sides and base as well as brass parts on top. As pictured, there is some bluing hidden away in places such as under the capacitor and under the parts which can be screwed out. The part with the black handle is a smooth faced rod wich can be removed/added ..
Bunsen Grease Spot Photometer [Vintage]
- Grease spot photometer from Griffin & George. Good condition, as pictured. ..
Chart Recorder by Philip Harris [used]
- Still working, but only a short length of paper.. A chart recorder is an electromechanical device that records an electrical or mechanical input trend onto a piece of paper (the chart). Chart recorders may record several inputs using different color pens and may record onto strip charts or circular..
Crookes' Maltese Cross Tube [modern]
- Juliusz Plücker in 1869 built an anode shaped like a Maltese Cross in the tube. It was hinged, so it could fold down against the floor of the tube. When the tube was turned on, it cast a sharp cross-shaped shadow on the fluorescence on the back face of the tube, showing that the rays moved in stra..
Durite Voltmeter [vintage]
- Moving-coil voltmeter by Durite, -2.5 - 18V & -1.25 9V. ..
Field Microscope [used]
- Good condition, 20x eyepiece, sides of stage disassemble for easier transport. ..
Ganot's Natural Philosophy for General Readers and Young People [vintage]
- Old leather-bound book (1900). Presentation copy awarded to A. Ferguson, Junio Watts prize for Science at Epsom College. ..
Glass Leg Stand by Baird & Tatlock [Vintage]
- Glass leg stand by Baird & Tatlock of Glasgow and Edinburgh. ..
Heavy Vintage 'Leigh GS' Microscope [Vintage]
- For spares or repair. ..
Hi-lyte 300, 35mm Slide projector [used]
- Super vintage 35mm slide and film strip projector, 'Hi-Lyte 300' manufactured by Rank Precision Industries Ltd and most likley dating from the early 1960s. ..
Kater's Pendulum [Vintage]
- Kater's Pendulum, assembly required. ..
Kyowa Microscope lamp [vintage]
- This microscope lamp has a projection system of lenses, but I believe that one lens is missing - a final screw on one. Otherwise working, ..
Large Amateur Wimshurst Machine [vintage]
- Incomplete, missing Leyden jars. For a restoration project. Belt for turning the plates is a tightly wound metal coil, in good condition. G-clamp does not come with the Wimshurst machine, but comes with a bag of some original supplies. Disk diameter 20". Aluminium sectors mostly complete, one has ..
Light Ray Box [vintage]
- Good condition. Light Ray Box by Dick, Son & Lewis LTD. ..
Mercury Lamp [vintage]
- Super Pressure Mercury Lamp, for use with spectroscopes/spectrometers. Good condition. ..
Microscope - Beck London model 47 [vintage]
- 9X,10X and 40X magnification. Finish is slightly faded as pictured. Missing Condenser, iris and light source. X/Y adjustor is very stiff. ..
Microscope - Brass and Black [vintage]
- Original objective lens is missing, a more modern replacement has been added. ..
Microscope - Cooke Troughton & Simms [vintage]
- Good condition with age. Cable for light source is cut. ..
MLI Current Balance [vintage]
- MLI Current Balance Circular spirit balance, and 3 adjustable legs, to enable the user to level the current balance. Dimensions: 24x10x6 in (61x25.5x15 cm) Almost every physics major does an experiment with a current balance. The students measure the force of repulsion between ..